Thursday, May 11, 2006

He's Warren the Whited Sepulchre!

Warren Kinsella's got a great column in the National Post today. Turning Hitler into a Debating Prop, it's called. Unfortunately--but hardly surprisingly--there's rather an obvious problem with the Post's new media critic writing such a piece (apart from the editorial work the first two paragraphs so desperately need) ... Not a month ago The Ambler (April 7th,2006) threw a little well-deserved dung Kinsella's way (reproduced from an article KMG wrote for The Report in August of 2000) and, amongst other things, turned this little gem up for us: a comparison--made by the new Post columnist--of Vancouver's North Shore News to Der Stürmer.

What--you would do well to ask yourself--is the difference between this and someone replacing the word "National", on the National Post newspaper box at the end of Warren's street, with "Nazi"? That the "fool" who commited the act of defacement had the good sense not to append his name to his handiwork.
__________________________

ADDENDUM (6:00pm)

Within an hour of my post I was given the rare (or, perhaps, not so rare) treat of a snippy missive from our man Kinsella. One hour! I include the exchange below. (It all ended very amicably, as you can see, with polite well-wishing on both sides and exchanges of search engine addresses ... Though, I swear, there was a tense moment there where I thought I was going to be called an anti-semite or something.) Enjoy!

On 5/11/06, Warren Kinsella wrote:

The North Shore News published, at the relevant time, a man who denied the Holocaust and called gays "dirt" and non-whites "a cancer." That's Nazi-like. My characterization was apt.

So's my characterization that you are the idiot, pas moi. [In the original post I had called him an idiot —ed.]

Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 17:30:31 -0400
From: edwardmichaelgeorge@gmail.com
To: wkinsella@hotmail.com
Subject: Re:

You're all charm, sir. How many of these do you reply to a day?
(I changed the "idiot" incidentally--though now I'm thinking it might be a great deal more "relevant" to have left it in.)
EMG

On 5/11/06, Warren Kinsella wrote:

Just the dumb ones. It amuses me.

Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 17:45:14 -0400
From: edwardmichaelgeorge@gmail.com
To: wkinsella@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Re:

Touché. It is rather disturbing though, that you were able to pick up my post so fast ... The words security and insecurity keep ringing in my ears. Don't know why.
Many thanks for the fun.
EMG

On 5/11/06, Warren Kinsella wrote:

http://www.technorati.com/search/

Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 17:53:47 -0400
From: edwardmichaelgeorge@gmail.com
To: wkinsella@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re:

This conversation's become distinctly one-sided. Last question: how many times a day do you plug your own name into the search, you miserable man? That being said, I shall search my own name forthwith.
EMG

On 5/11/06, Warren Kinsella wrote:

Have fun

The best way is just to register for an RSS. They let you know.

_____________________

ADDENDUM TO THE ADDENDUM (11:30pm)

It should be said that I did search myself at Technorati and, alas, it turned up not a blip. (Which makes us both losers, Warren.) Now ... what's really strange is, when I searched "Warren Kinsella" this post did not turn up. So the question is: how did old WK catch wind of my post--from an, apparently, utterly obscure and unread weblog--so fast?

Beware! An uninhibited ego, and the means to keep it primed.