Sunday, August 10, 2008

Obamapathy

(With apologies for my ongoing neglect of this space.)

I read with great interest of the fuss that has been kicked-up by conservatives over the reaction of one Jeffrey Wells to an op-ed piece written by actor Jon Voight in the Washington Times. This Wells character, they say, appears to be agitating for a form of reverse-McCarthyist blacklisting.

What they didn't draw our attention to, however, was the particular irony of Wells' particular phrasing (my emphasis):
If I were a producer and I had to make a casting decision about hiring Voight or some older actor who hadn't pissed me off with an idiotic Washington Times op-ed piece, I might very well say to myself, "Voight? Let him eat cake."
Doesn't it strike anyone else as only too, too, too fitting that Wells should choose these words with which to attack Mr. Voight? Words attributed to a person so glaringly disengaged from the hard realities of the country over which she reigned that they are commonly treated as the inspiration for one of the bloodiest of revolutions? (An event which, I hasten to add, ended for her on the steps of the guillotine.)

This is a gift, surely!

(H/T FMS)