Sunday, October 26, 2008

'Onservative' coined!

Further to my exemplar of the Onservative--what Kathy Shaidle describes as "the cowardly careerist urban latte beta male lawyer class"--Nicholas Packwood (aka Ghost of a Flea) offers this:
Yet another thing I used to wonder at in my 9/10 life was how German conservatives could ever have accommodated themselves to Hitler and the Nazi party. Now I know. They were not conservatives. They did not care about democracy or individual liberty or the free market or authentic German traditions. They saw a strong man on a horse and - being weak - they followed him. They were the Weimar equivalent of today's cowardly, careerist urban latte beta male lawyer class and they could not care less who ran Germany so long as they were still invited to the right parties.
The Flea's is judgement worth trusting. (I'm fairly certain he's from the future!) Further to his thoughts, I recommend this--by a German whose conservatism earned him a bullet in the neck at Dachau.